Friday, July 23, 2010

Social Bookmarking Sites-Adventure #13

Delicious, found at http://delicious.com, is just one Social Bookmarking site that allows you to save your favorite websites in an organized, portable way. I had already signed up for Delicious before this adventure began because these adventures tend to overlap each other. However, I was introduced to another Social Bookmarking site that I like even better. It is called Diigo and can be found at http://www.diigo.com. What I like about Diigo is that you can link it to your Delicious account as well as your blog. So, right now, my new bookmarks for Diigo are also saved in Delicious. You can also see that I linked Diigo to my blog; so, if I find an interesting website that I need to share, I can send it directly to my blog. (see post before this one.)

Bookmarking sites are important for teachers and librarians because websites can be shared with students and colleagues in a portable way. The student or teacher doesn't have to be on the computer that the sites were saved on. Diigo also has an account especially designed for teachers which will allow their students to also use the site under their teacher's account without having an email address (important for elementary students more so than with high school students.)

Diigo has many other features that would not only help teachers but help students organize research materials found on the internet and then take the research materials to any computer. Diigo's toolbar allows the user to highlight information found in an article, capture the whole article and then send it to other users if needed.

I did find out that you have to go to View: Toolbars: Diigo each time you open your browser, but that is not really a problem. You just have to remember to do this.

Sounds like I am sold on Diigo, right? I think it will help librarians and teachers become more organized. Believe me, if you see my list of favorites on my computer, you would know what I mean. What a mess!! Social Bookmarking sites allow you to add Tags to help you find websites that have a common theme; this is what helps with organization. You can not do that with your traditional favorites bookmarking on your computer.

Each of these adventures have really been eye-openers for me; however, they are time-consuming. I am having fun though. I would encourage technology buffs to go on their own adventure but at a slower pace. Until next time techies........

No comments:

Post a Comment