Friday, August 13, 2010

Adventure #16 Wikis

I am trying to complete my 23 adventures by Sunday, my deadline.......scary thought; however, I have been inundated (don't you just love big words?) with a lot of other technology woes. I just found out yesterday that I would be getting a new circulation system for the library. It isn't hard to do, but when you haven't had any formal training, you need time to "play around" with it. I also created a website for my husband and his friend. (They have a cover-band) I have been learning about domain names and google analytics. So, even though I haven't been solely concentrating on the 23 adventures, I have been venturing out into uncharted territory. Okay, enough dramatics!

Some of these adventures tend to overlap; so, I hope I don't repeat myself. Wikis are collaborative websites that allow users to add, delete and edit content created by any of the registered users.The wiki website that I researched is PBworks, found at http://www.pbworks.com/. The PB wiki is an easy to use wiki for elementary school implementation. In addition, the teacher can sign up as many as 100 students under him/her without the students needing email addresses.

4th graders, in Texas, are tested in writing; so, this would be a good tool for editing and peer feedback. This would also be a good resource for story writing across grades, as well as collaborative research projects. I can envision a state or country project!

PBworks is not filtered in our district which is a plus. I am just hoping that I can get the teachers to jump on the PBworks wagon with me. If not, then I will set up one for the library for an on-going research project....maybe a road trip! Who doesn't like road trips?

Better venture on. The next adventure is the same as this one: Wikis. So, wait a few minutes and come back. There will be another entry.

If you want to see my website creation, go to http://www.lostintimergv.com/. Sounds like I'm promoting right? Until next time, techies....

No comments:

Post a Comment