Saturday, June 19, 2010

Adventure #7 Technology Applications

There was an article in the American Federation of Teachers magazine today. It talked about how there has been research conducted on multi-tasking and whether students can actually do a good job when multi-tasking. The research said "no." This leads to the subject of technology and whether it will really enhance learning in the classroom. Although every student is different, most students will like the new technology being used in the classroom; however, this technology will not necessarily enhance learning. Our minds can only process so much information at a time, and by overloading it with too much technology at one time, it can shut down and become confused.

So, there are pros and cons to technology in the classroom. You can't say, "What am I going to do with my smart board in my classroom?" but rather "How can I enhance my lesson on verbs with my smart board?" I thought this was an interesting article because we just assume that all students need new technology in the classroom or they won't learn. Yes, technology is our present and future, but we need to be more selective when using it and not just use it because it is there and we feel we "have to."

I know a teacher on my campus who isn't into all the new technology gadgets, and she is just as effective in getting her students to learn; so, again, technology is a two-edged sword. So, watch out! You might just cut yourself. Until next time....in about two minutes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment