Sunday, June 20, 2010

Adventure #8-RSS Feeds and Readers

What would make a constant web-based reader happy? A reader of news; a reader of blogs; a reader of technology bytes; the answer, though not clear-cut, would be a place to consolidate all of your web-based reading materials into one site, therefore providing easy access. Web-based readers provide the means to which you can have easy access to all your important up-to-date reading material.

There are two readers that I researched. The first one was Google Reader; the second one was Bloglines found at bloglines.com. I really didn't care for Google Reader as much as I did for Bloglines. Bloglines, I felt, was easier to use. It even allowed me to add RSS feeds and blogs to my blog for others to read.

According to the 23 things website, an RSS ("Really Simple Syndication") feed is a "file format for delivering regularly updated information over the web." These feeds are fed (no pun intended) to your reader, whether you choose Google reader or Bloglines.

Whether you are in education or not, this is truly a time-saver. Sometimes the internet can really bog you down with information, but the readers and RSS feeds will help streamline your information and only give you what you want.

I don't know if my teachers in elementary school would be receptive to this because they are bogged down enough with paperwork. I think if I research the different news and blogs in more depth, I may be able to find something that they could use. Students in elementary school would not find much use for this; however, this is just my opinion. So, my followers, if you are reading this blog, you are a web-based reader and need to check out both Google Reader and Bloglines. I am puttng my money on Bloglines. (well if I had any money!) Until next time...Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment